[lbo-talk] We shipped weapons, Sandinistas

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jan 22 13:29:18 PST 2005

Michael wrote:

> The simple minded, naive, credulousity mixed w/ apologetics for
> Stalinist brutality against loyal Communists, peasants and workers I've
> heard directly in face to face conversations I've heard from CPUSA members

Eh? The US CP has been tiny and marginalized since the 1950s. The Sandinistas were supporting a revolution against one of the worst regimes in history -- Rightwing death squads and Army forces murdered at least 50,000 El Salvadorans in a country of maybe 5 million. I worked for a human rights group in 1989 and had to file the human rights reports from Church workers in the fields of Morazan -- ghastly, horrifying stuff. The Reagan Administration was sending something like $500 million a year to the El Salvadoran military -- just one of the many grievous crimes of this murderous Empire.

-- DRR