[lbo-talk] RE: Poets I don't know...

John K. Taber jktaber at charter.net
Sat Jan 22 16:42:06 PST 2005

"Charles Brown" <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> comments on "it's a shame":

> Kinda snobby, ain't it ?

Yes, it is. It bothers me too. It is so unlike Buk, who AFAIK was not snobbish himself, and detested pretense.

Also, the ending about snails and manna is uncharacteristically obscure for Buk.

What I figure is that the poem's point is disgust with the political show of the president mouthing a state of the union speech. It's a not so good mind in a not so good body.

Maybe not his best poem, just one for the occasion. Take a good look at Bush giving a speech to see what Buk probably meant.

John