[lbo-talk] Re: Boycotting the Unorganized?

Donna Wilson skarhed at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 19:57:45 PST 2005

> I disagree. I think crossing the picket line and
> letting them know
> that I am doing so because they are haters is very
> effective. Unions
> must be made aware that heterosexism is evil and
> they must be held
> accountable if they practice it. Actions must have
> consequences.

A different approach, from the Class Matters website: http://www.classmatters.org/identity/glbt.php

"When the Fischer meat packing workers went on strike, some of us in a gay rights group, the Fairness Campaign, proposed that the group back them up. It was a mostly white, middle-class group, and there was a volatile conversation, with some members saying it was off the point, not our issue, it would detract from what we were doing. But we said that you can't separate discrimination from workplace safety and wage protection. You need to back your natural allies and have their backing. We are not enough in numbers to go it alone, and you can't get there just on good will. Some members of the Fairness Campaign had awful stereotypes of unions.

But even without the whole group's support, a few of us participated on picket lines with the strikers. It made queer people real to the union members. We brought up class analysis in Fairness Campaign trainings, how it's connected, and when our anti-discrimination proposal came up for a vote, the union stepped forward, they came to City Hall and spoke up, and that helped us. We didn't win right away, but eventually our legislation passed. And we had union support all along the way. And we continued to be on the front line with them."

— Susan Remmers