[lbo-talk] Credit Where Credit is Due

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 23 09:09:59 PST 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

>Dennis Redmond wrote:
>
>>The world-system puts real limits on what human beings can do at any given
>>point in history. It's our job to think through that world-system -- what
>>is it, how does it work, how can we change it. I think anarchism
>>concentrates too much on the political structures of domination, and
>>ignores the whole economic issue. You end up blaming everything on this
>>mythical, fantasmic Bigness -- when in fact local structures of authority
>>can be the most toxic of all.
>
>The bullshit on this list never ceases to amaze me. No wonder I left
>the list for several months last year!

Chuck, this is one of the reasons I'm skeptical about anarchism. Dennis is citing real systemic and historical constraints on what people can do. Anarchists, and not just you, seem to think that you can just ignore all that stuff if you're determined and spirited and pure enough. Failure is interpreted as personal weakness or betrayal, and not something caused by forces larger than individuals or small groups.

Doug