[lbo-talk] Boycotting the Unorganized?

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 23 09:35:57 PST 2005

On Jan 23, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Lacny wrote:
>
>> And once again, people are making this issue far more complicated
>> than it
>> is.
>
> Yeah, I agree. I think someone brought up the old aphorism that hard
> cases make bad law, and it seems that everyone is looking for the hard
> cases here. I don't really understand why.

I hold picket lines to be pretty much sacred, but those of us who feel that way have been getting our asses kicked a lot the last couple of decades. I'm willing to reconsider darned near everything, if it involves actually winning (something worthwhile) for a change. That's probably got something to do with it.

Also, I brought up one of those hard cases partly (as John L. noted) as a sincere question, and partly because I believed there was a sensible answer to it, despite being a hard case. The answers received did not disappoint me.

But I'll say this, in reference to class versus race: If you don't think that, given the large influx of Central and South American workers into the US, and given a serious unemployment crisis of the great depression levels, we could see another East St. Louis-type of occurrence, then you aren't hanging out where I hang out.

This possibility really worries me, and while I've got ideas about how to defuse it, I don't have a lot of confidence that they'll work.

John A