[lbo-talk] Boycotting the Unorganized?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sun Jan 23 15:00:13 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>
>> if the organization picketing discriminates against people like me,
>> i may feel no solidarity with them
>
> I see your point, but in most cases, unions are better for people who
> are discriminated against than non-unions. Why the impulse to find
> reasons to cross a picket line when labor is on the ropes?

no, i don't think that's the motivation. i cannot speak for the others though i would guess many of them share my sentiment when i say that it is only on a left list that we have the luxury of discussing these issues. in the real world, i have never crossed a line, nor would i even criticize unions (lest we give an inch to our enemies!).

i read on the web that the AFL-CIO reversed its anti-undocumented-workers position only in 2002, and some claim this was a selfish decision to grow the ranks (given drop in union membership among citizens). it is a tough real world problem to keep unions inclusive (in the best sense) and relevant. kelley or someone else wrote that we should honour the picket line but work within the union to effect changes -- i do not claim to have a better alternative.

--ravi