[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 16:32:40 PST 2005

John Lacny wrote:

>And once again, people are making this issue far more complicated than it
>is.

Yeah, I agree. I think someone brought up the old aphorism that hard cases make bad law, and it seems that everyone is looking for the hard cases here. I don't really understand why.

Doug

Two fairly obvious reasons:

1) Identity politics: Many people see their "own oppression" as the principal locus of all political and social struggle, and hence the yardstick by which everything else is measured. The class struggle has no special significance for them.

2)Petty bourgeois individualism: Respecting picket lines is a rule of collective behavior, which appears to infringe upon individual autonomy--the supreme value of the petty bourgeoisie and those--most people in this country and many on the left--who share its ideology .