[lbo-talk] Re: Boycotting the Unorganized?

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 23 17:03:54 PST 2005

On Jan 23, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> John A. writes:
>
>> we could see another East St. Louis-type of occurrence,
>
> If you could, what are you referring to.

One of the less glorious moments in American labor history: http://www.google.com/search? hl=en&q=East+Saint+Louis+Race+Riot+of+1917&btnG=Google+Search

Here's a very brief summary: http://search.eb.com/blackhistory/micro/184/12.html

Here's a longer one: http://www.exodusnews.com/HISTORY/History010.htm

The level of union involvement in this incident is disputed, but that there was some involvement by unionists at the individual level is a historical fact.

This is why the AFL-CIO's new policy on immigration is so welcome--aside from the obvious ethical imperative, as a matter of pragmatism it's necessary to embrace immigrant workers, even at some personal cost, rather than allow them to be used by capital against others.

John A