[lbo-talk] Re: We shipped weapons, Sandinistas say

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 23 17:44:58 PST 2005

From the book, "The Civil War in Nicaragua: Inside the Sandinistas, " by Roger Miranda Bengoechea, chief of the Sandinista Defense Ministry Secretariat from '82-'87 and chief aide to Commandante Humberto Ortega, pg. 40-41.
> ...In late 1987 Salvadorean Communist Party chief Shafik Handal met
> privately with Humberto Ortega and the latter promised to send
> ground-to-air missiles to the Salvadorean guerillas, though he was not
> authorized to do so. The next day the Directorate assembled in the
> morning. Bayardo Arce entered, having heard the day before about
> Humberto's promise, and he was obviously furious....(skipping narrative
> details of an emotional and gestural nature @ Bayardo, Daniel and
> Humberto Ortega)

..."What is more, " Arce continued, "Humberto said we would begin immediately training the cousins (term for other Central American guerilla fronts in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and elsewhere) in how to use the arrows (missiles) at an air force training school.I won't have anything to do with this kind of shit.I am responsible for the care of the cousins Humberto has no business promising anything, and certainly things we haven't even agreed about in the Directorate.Humberto is grabbing authority and making me look like an asshole with the cousins."

-- Michael Pugliese