[lbo-talk] SEIU vs WMT

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 24 08:30:06 PST 2005

From: "Andy Stern, SEIU PurpleOcean.org" <info at purpleocean.org> Subject: "Nibbled To Death By Guppies"

Dear PurpleOcean.org member,

We've been pretty quiet lately, and it's because we've been working on something big. You're the first to hear. Today, I'm asking you to join me in launching a nationwide, grassroots campaign to spread the real facts on Wal-Mart, person-by-person and city-by-city. No huge ad budgets or television commercials-just the facts about Wal-Mart and working families in America.

<http://www.purpleocean.org/walmart>

Last week, Wal-Mart launched a million-dollar advertising campaign in an attempt to silence its critics. The company bought hundreds of television ads, newspaper ads, and more to tell you what to think.

Rather than fight back with more slick advertising and giant ad budgets, we think there's a better way to get the real facts out about Wal-Mart- a grassroots way that depends on you for success. Invite your friends to view the facts, then see who accepted your invitations on an animated map that tracks your fact sheet as it spreads across the country.

Start the chain by passing on the facts, then see how from day to day, your individual influence spreads the word. If you're one of the first 25 people whose chain grows to 500, then you'll receive $1,000 towards your health insurance expenses-or, if you already have health insurance, we'll put it into a fund that will help provide health insurance for Wal-Mart workers who can't afford it. (The official rules are online at: <http://www.purpleocean.org/walmart/officialrules>)

When Wal-Mart launched its campaign last week, Wal-Mart's CEO said that he was tired of the criticism of the world's largest retailer-tired of the criticism about its poor pay, bad benefits, sexual discrimination, and poor working conditions. He said he was "tired of being nibbled to death by guppies." Well, it's not over, and it starts with you

Today, with your help, PurpleOcean.org is launching an army of guppies unlike anything Wal-Mart has ever seen. Join me and thousands of Americans across the country in helping to spread the word about how Wal-Mart is leading the low road economy.

In Solidarity,

Andy Stern

P.S. Don't forget to track your fact sheet as it travels around the country:

<http://www.purpleocean.org/walmart>

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about PurpleOcean.org and encourage them to join our fight: <http://www.unionvoice.org/join-forward.html?domain=purpleocean&r=R7z9mns1Gqej>

Tell-a-friend!

If you received this message from a friend, you can <http://www.unionvoice.org/purpleocean/join.html?r=R7z9mns1GqejE>sign up for SEIU Purple Ocean.