[lbo-talk] NYC, fucked city [was Re: cushy life]

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:15:56 PST 2005

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>>
>>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>>
>>... there are many thousands of people in Manhattan
>>who are about as fucked as you can get, sleeping on
>>grates, living in the subways ...
>
>[And occasionally the fuckees return the favor. Here's a bit of NYCTA
>capitalist blowback that happened just yesterday:]
>
>Fire Cripples 2 of City's Busiest Subway Lines
>
>...The Sunday afternoon fire at the Chambers Street station was apparently
>set by a homeless person ...

[Overpostal apologies. I just wanted to add details on this amazing story, which I think offers some epiphanic insight into the quality of NYC's glorious "rebirth" of recent years. Clearly, internal rot -- both of the social safety net and of urban infrastructure -- is as great a menace to NYC as terrorism:]

Manhattan Subway Fire Cripples 2 Lines

By SEWELL CHAN Published: January 25, 2005

Two of the city's subway lines - the A and the C - have been crippled and may not return to normal capacity for three to five years after a fire Sunday afternoon in a Lower Manhattan transit control room that was started by a homeless person trying to keep warm, officials said yesterday.

The blaze, at the Chambers Street station used by the A and C lines, was described as doing the worst damage to subway infrastructure since the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001. It gutted a locked room that is no larger than a kitchen but that contains some 600 relays, switches and circuits that transmit vital information about train locations....

"This is a very significant problem, and it's going to go on for quite a while," said Lawrence G. Reuter, the president of New York City Transit. He estimated it would take "several millions of dollars and several years" to reassemble and test the intricate network of custom-built switch relays that were destroyed in the blaze, which officials believe began when the homeless person - who has not been found - set fire to wood and refuse in a shopping cart in the tunnel about 50 feet north of the Chambers Street station. ...

The fire underscored the fragility of the antiquated mechanical equipment that keeps the subways moving and of the sensitive nodes where that equipment is stored. Officials said they believed that there were only two companies in the world that were able to repair the signals. One is based in Pittsburgh, and the other in Paris....

An expert on the city's subways expressed amazement that a single fire in a confined space could have such a long-lasting impact. "It seems astonishing that a single signal room would be so central to the operation of the line that it would take five years to recover from," said Clifton Hood, a transit historian at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in Geneva, N.Y. "That's about as long as it took to build that entire line of the IND."...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/25/nyregion/25subway.html?hp&ex=1106629200&en=1a911feba34b7f7f&ei=5094&partner=homepage>

Carl