[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized (miidle class)

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Mon Jan 24 21:30:51 PST 2005

At 5:00 PM -0800 24/1/05, joanna bujes wrote:

>It is entirely possible for humans to share the earth with other
>species and thereby to grow in compassion rather than "merit" or
>"reason." After all, as Sam Johnson observed: "Sir, if we all got
>what we deserved, we'd all be hung tomorrow."

It is entirely possible to share the earth with other species AND eat them. As for it being a slippery slope to start deciding which living things have the right not to be eaten or not, the vegetarians don't seem to afford the same rights to cabbages and other vegetable, who they gleefully exterminate in greater numbers than us meat-eaters.

If human rights must be extended to rabbits, then why not to lettuces? (Although if rabbits are to be offered the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, then there soon won't be much room on the planet for anything else. This part of the planet anyhow.)

I would want to see some answers to how we are going to feed gargantuan hordes of rapidy-breeding meat animals before we go giving them too many rights. Or is it "compassionate" to let them starve to death in the desert outside the fenced-off lentil farms? What about the human rights of the plant life that emancipated sheep will mow down? I think some of these vegetarians have been watching too many Walt Disney cartoons. Sheep aren't people folks, sorry to break it to you. Neither are cabbages.

Although some people put up a damn good imitation. Not enough meat in their diet to fuel their brains, I reckon. ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas