[lbo-talk] cushy life

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 06:05:24 PST 2005

Sorry, John, I misinterpreted your statements; I thought you were advocating equal shares of material goods for all, i.e., that everyone gets the same amount of value of stuff. It turns out that you accept something like Marx's needs principle ("To each according to his needs"), which means nonequal shares.

Perhaps each gets equal consideration, but that is very different from equal shares. You follow Albert & Hahnel in thinking that the needs principle can be realized under scarcity. Marx thought not, but that is neither here nor there.

At any rate, as far as people being able, psychologically, to live with the needs principle and the inequality (as well as the eqaulity) that accompanies it, you and I have no disagreement that they can. Actually I am more optimistic than you, I think we could live with it right now, it wouldn't take any getting used to.

Whether Albert & Hahnel have presented a desiriable or feasible model for a post-capitalist society is something I do not care to discuss. I will confess, however, to being lacking in vision. I'm the Hayekian, after all, so I'm moderately pessimistic about the limitations on human transformation.

jks