[lbo-talk] Juan Cole on US Troop withdrawl

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 25 07:09:11 PST 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

> just terribly terribly wrong as an empirical prediction.

Actually, he makes _two_ empirical predictions, and it is the _implicit_ one that I find terribly wrong.

He in effect predicts that something good will happen if the U.S. stays.

I make no predictions whatever as to what will happen after the u.s. withdraws. I do predict that nothing but unqualified horror will occur if u.s. forces _or_ _any_ external forces, remain in Iraq.

And I do claim that those who clutter the anti-war drive with qualifications are, mostly unwittingly, contributing to that horror.

Carrol