[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 25 15:19:04 PST 2005

snit snat wrote:

> A very upset minority did not like the idea that gender may
> be as 'socially constrcuted' as race. which is to say, we recognize that
> whatever attitudes/behaviors/etc we attach to skin color/eye shape/etc is
> socially constituted, but quite a few people have a hard time with the idea
> that gender might be very similar. (queue Justin :).

In his review of Laqueur S.J. Gould remarked that there is equal biological evidence for one sex and for two sexes. Hence sex as well as gender becomes historically created, not "given" by 'mere' biological fact. The facts are ambiguous. There is no reason that under other social conditions there might not be three-four-many genders (or none at all).

Carrol