[lbo-talk] cushy life/strict equality

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 08:27:27 PST 2005

--- John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote: <<I can pose the same question in reverse. Why do you care how much another has if you have all your needs met additionally you have no more unmet wants (or the possibility of such anyway) than everyone else? In this system you will have not one bit less than anyone else. >>

I would like to belive the above is possible but I just dont see how the only incentive can be "brotherly love". That might work for a month or two after a revolution, but over people would tire of being Stakonovites and demanding incentive for working harder than another person.

How are you going to feel when you show up at the airport only to find out that the pilot decided to stay at home since it "really doesnt matter one way or the other"?

There was a thread on here about JIT and how logistics. Can you imagine the ensuing nightmare if John's system got put in place? Certainly we need to get away from hyper-consumerism but the goal is not to reduce people to a primitive standard of living...but to raise most of the people's standard of living. That would be impossible without some incentives.

-Thomas

===== <<Furthermore, we must ask what does the dialectician want? What does this will which wills the dialectic want? It is an exhausted force which does not have the strength to affirm its difference, a force which no longer acts but rather reacts to the forces which dominate it-only such a force brings to the foreground the negative element in its relation to the other. Such a force denies all that it is not and makes this negation its own essence and the principle of its existence.>> -Gilles Deleuze "Nietzche & Philosophy"