[lbo-talk] Credit Where Credit is Due

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 10:08:02 PST 2005

--- "W. Kiernan" <wkiernan at ij.net> wrote:

> Miles Jackson wrote:

> email?
> > >

> > > Lots and lots of teddy bears. Not necessarily a
> cushy society, but
> > > definitely a cuddly one.
> >
> > Lots of hobbits, a big bed, pipeweed from the
> South farthing,
> > and Legolas. In leather.
>
> Every book ever written always available online to
> everybody on the
> entire globe, free. Adults could read them in their
> off-time from their
> twenty-hour-a-week jobs. Energetic and ambitious
> people striving for
> the fifteen-hour work week.

I believe the original time limit for copyright for the US was under twenty years, the purpose of it being "to promote the common good" or some such airheadery.

On the same track of wooly-minded (not to say wooly-footed) utopianism, I'll settle for a friggin' safety net. Sweden or Germany, or even Canada, could buy me out easy. I mean, that's their point, right? To buy us out. I'd whore for health insurance. Christ, I've done it before. I figure it would make it easier to demand something beyond that, even if most don't.

One of the reasons I started paying attention to this list is that I hoped somebody would have something to say about, say, parecon. It talks about things discussed in another thread, too, about equitable distribution and incentives. The last time it got brought up the sum total of the response was "too many beurocrats," which is a little like critiquing Marxism by saying, "it puts too much faith in the goodwill of capitalists." Not a logical impossibility, but....