[lbo-talk] Declining Fertility Rates (cushy life/strict equality)

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Jan 26 22:47:32 PST 2005

> Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu, Wed Jan 26 13:18:12 PST 2005:
>
>> Family relations are an interesting example that (to some degree)
>> undermines Justin's argument. According to any rational assessment of
>> incentives and investment, raising children is an awful decision.
>> They're a huge economic liability, they divert time and energy from
>> other creative and potentially productive activities, they require
>> constant psychological and social support. Perhaps in the past,
>> people could say, "I raised them, and in my dotage they'll look after
>> me"; however, I know few people who believe this today (I certainly
>> don't expect it of my kids!). In sum, there are few or no tangible
>> incentives for parents to raise kids.

This makes no sense to me. Raising kids is one of the most interesting/fascinating/rewarding/stimulating things I've ever done.

Compared to hanging out with repressed/fucked up/totally fake/anxious grownups, hanging out with kids is a hoot. They still know how to play; they are still open; they can still love; and they are very forgiving.

How can you beat that?

Joanna