[lbo-talk] FT: Family Values are Destroying Marriage

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 27 08:56:04 PST 2005

snit snat wrote:

>IIRC, most divorces happen within first 10 years, the nexest highest
>occurance is around the 25 yr mark (don't quote me on that last, I
>just remember that there's usually a bump that corresponds with the
>time kids leave the nest).

I can't remember where I got these stats from - some CDC pub, I think - but I put them together when I did a page of graphics for The Nation's marriage issue. Here's what they call the "probability of disruption" of marriage (divorce or separation, and the great majority of seps end in divs) for women aged 15-44 in 1995 by years of marriage:

1 year 3% 3 years 12% 5 years 20% 10 years 33% 15 years 43%

The number tops out close to 50%.

Doug