[lbo-talk] Marc cooper spat on by vets maybe?

philion at stolaf.edu philion at stolaf.edu
Thu Jan 27 11:45:08 PST 2005

There is a really oddball guy [friendly with John O'Neill, which tells you about everything you need to know?] on the comments board of Marc Cooper's blog who makes up stories about friends who were Vietnam vets and have been spat on or 'punched in the back' by antiwar activists, whom I've been challenging with Jerry Lembcke's debunking of the myth of vets being spat on. Cooper, so endeared to the principle of winning the friendship of those on the right and far far right, has now apparently changed his view of the myth, though at one time he interviewed Lembcke twice about Vietnam Mythologies very favoraby. Now such challenges to the mythmakers are no longer allowed on the blog and besides, Marc claims that he knew lots of antiwar activists who hated the soldiers, etc!:

"NO MORE SPITTING POSTS! I mean it. It's a boring, useless debate. I have no doubt that a) some anti-war protestors HATED G.I.'s and I have no reason to doubt they spit at them in some cases. I personally knew a load of anti-war folks who hated soldiers ... and B) I also know that the overwhelming majority of anti-war protestors saw the GI's as victims of a mistaken policy and had no intention to harm them.... and C) there were hard hats who bashed in the skulls of peaceful of anti-war protestors but d) that doesnt mean that all contruction workers acted like lunk-head storm troopers. NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO RESPOND TO THIS POST. NEXT PERSON WHO BRINGS UP SPITTING ON GI'S FOR OR AGAINST WILL BE PERMANENTLY SPIT OFF THIS BLOG."