[lbo-talk] cushy life/strict equality/human nature

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 12:10:09 PST 2005

I am highly aware of the research on the negative effects of incentives. What it shows is that any kind of incentives -- moral as well as material -- undermines the tendency to perform activities for their intrinsic value. That's the basic result. The main research is done in the context of moral incentives, as a matter of fact. This research undercuts the argument, invoked here, that moral incentives are a good substitute for material ones. It is also irrelevant to activities which are not particularly intrinsically rewarding, like a lot of necessary labor.

The issue of fair distribution of wealth income is quite seperate from the abolition of the wages system. Virtually all of us here agree that wage labor should be eliminated and banned, like slavery is today. That still leaves open the question of how workers should be remunerated for their work under a system where they are not working for wages. Under my own ideas, they'd be working for profit shares. In John's, they'd get some sort of vouchers that would entitle them to satisfy their needs and wants.

But the question remains about how the social wealth should be distributed, what principles might guide its distribution. The slogal, Abolition of thewages system! doesn't answer that question. And people will ask, Do you mean that everyone should get the same thing? To which, to my astonushment, some people here say yes. I have given some of my reasons about why I say no.

jks