[lbo-talk] Declining Fertility Rates

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 27 12:33:17 PST 2005

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu, Thu Jan 27 11:01:00 PST 2005:
>No, that's my point: we don't need external incentives to
>participate in family life, because it's intrinsically rewarding and
>interesting. I think this spirit can be usefully applied in many
>social contexts, not just in family relations.

Still and all, women everywhere are having fewer and fewer children. If having children is intrinsically interesting, women who have more resources have more children than women who have fewer resources, but that's not the case. It's the other way around. The more education women have, and the more public support (like state-funded child care and health care) they have, the fewer children they give birth to and raise. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>