[lbo-talk] NYC's "City Journal" magazine?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 07:37:50 PST 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>B. wrote:
>
>>I have a question: What is the scoop on the City
>>Journal magazine of New York?
>
>Sponsored by the Manhattan Institute, a right-wing think tank. I haven't
>looked at an ish in a while, but as I remember, it sucks.
>
>Doug

Certainly no one in print possesses more powerful suction than City Journal Editor Myron Magnet, who sports 19th-century muttonchop whiskers and a 21st-century weight problem. I saw him on the street in Manhattan once, and he looked even more preposterous than he does in the photo at this link: http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/magnet.htm

As that site notes, Magnet's "book, The Dream and the Nightmare: The Sixties’ Legacy to the Underclass (Encounter Books, 1993) argues that the radical transformation of American culture that took place in the 1960s brought the underclass into being.... President-elect George W. Bush told the Wall Street Journal that it was the most important book he’d ever read after the Bible ...."

Carl