[lbo-talk] NY Times Interview: Bush on Gay Adoption

Jacob Segal jpsegal at rcn.com
Thu Jan 27 19:36:16 PST 2005

I wonder what Bush is arguing here . . .

Jacob

Question on Florida law banning Gay adoption

"The ideal in society is to raise children with a man and a woman. Private adoption firms can make whatever choice they choose to do. As president, I will always be aiming for the ideal. I don't know this particular case. ...

I just said the ideal is where a child be raised by a man and a woman. That's the ideal world. A married man and a woman. And as governor and as president - when I was governor of Texas my position was that this is the ideal.

And I believe children can receive love from gay couples, but the ideal is - and studies have shown that the ideal is where a child is raised in a married family with a man and a woman."