[lbo-talk] housing bubble?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 28 14:47:43 PST 2005

Jordan:
> I said there was (typically) no margin call. If you get stuck in a
> limit down futures contract, you can get wiped out in ways that are
> (again, typically) not possible with houses: you can't be forced to sell
> your house _just because it's value goes down_ ...

So basically you argue that stox have only the exchange value whereas houses also have a use-value that may compensate for the possible loss of exchange-value. Marxist! :)

You do not seem take into account the differences in transaction costs (taxes, mortgage interest, maintenance, etc.) associated with these types of assets - these are negligible for stox and quite substantial for real estate. If your stox loses value that is bad, but you can keep the devalued stox at no additional cost hoping it will rebound in the future. It ain't so for real estate - you still have to pay mortgage, taxes and maintenance - and these can push you over the edge before your asset appreciate again.

Wojtek