[lbo-talk] I am addicted to India, it's magical, says Sting

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 06:31:16 PST 2005

I am addicted to India, it's magical, says Sting MALAVIKA SANGGHVI

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, JANUARY 28, 2005 11:33:20 PM ]

"In a sense, I am more a Hindu; I like Hindu religion more than anything else at this moment," says the bottle-blonde pop star who has carved a niche for himself as a 'thinking rocker' and bequeathed the word 'synchronicity' to teen talk.

"For me as an artist, it was important to be brought up in the Christian tradition; it is very rich in imagery. And of course I still use that, there is a great deal of awareness with that. But I would not consider myself a Christian any longer. My beliefs are much wider than that. I don't believe God is necessarily a Catholic or Islamic or anything else...it's a much larger concept than that..." he asserts.

As is to be expected, there is a lot of feel-good about India. "I visit India very often. I spent the last New Year here. I was in the desert near Jaisalmer. I think my favourite city is probably Benares. There's something very magical about it. There's a Shiva temple there that's fallen halfway into the Ganges and I find that such a wonderful, powerful image... it will stay with me for a long time. There are many places in India that I haven't been too. And I will spend the rest of my life discovering your wonderful country. I've become addicted to it."

Sting — aka Gordon Sumner — who will perform for tsunami relief on February 4 in Bangalore and February 6 in New Delhi, admires Indian musicians. "I know Ravishankar very well and his wonderful daughter. I know a great deal about Indian music and have tried to understand its intricacies. I am aware how complex ragas are and how specific the rhythm is."

A highlight of his performance is the presence of a female dancer behind the singer who is viewed on a screen as he performs. "She's like the female deity in this world...I think we need more of the goddess in our lives," he says.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1004545.cms

-- I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. Oh, tell me that I may sponge away the writing on this stone! -- Charles Dickens * TagZilla 0.057 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org