[lbo-talk] Radical Left :: Shock-Pop Music Made in Russia

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 06:58:53 PST 2005

In a way, it's brilliant. I haven't heard them yet, though -- but from what I understand, NATO sing traditional Chechen tunes over modern, dancey beats?

There are some underground bands in the US that have been doing this sort of thing already, but it's DIY and not banrolled by a prominent entertainment figure or anything, the way NATO is [R.A.M.B.O. is one such band, who come out in full camouflage battle gear and encourage the audience to come dressed like Black Bloc members].

GG Allin, the guy who would physically assault audience members [and once went to prison for raing a woman on stage] always said that for his last show, he'd bring an AK-47 on stage an dtake out the audience before shooting himself. Heroin got ot him first, though.

-B.

===========

Michael Pugliese wrote:

http://radicalleft.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2005/1/25/276776.html

> From the man who brought you the adorable lesbian
pop of t.a.T.u. comes
> the next new low in Russian music: Terror rock.
>
> Ad-man/producer Ivan Shapovalov, responsible for the
briefly-famous
> fake-lesbian duo, has unveiled Nato, his newest
starlet who sings in
> Chechen and dresses like a suicide bomber.
>
> Is this Shapovalov's next ticket to shock-pop
success?

===== "I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978