[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 30 14:32:35 PST 2005

>On Jan 30, 2005, at 3:39 AM, joanna bujes wrote:
>
>>That's the trouble with CD's -- no goosebumps.
>
>I hate to pick a quarrel on yet another subject, but I've never really
>understood this knock against CDs. The early generation did not measure up
>to LPs in sound quality, but by now they are quite satisfactory in that
>department as far as I am concerned, and their lack of surface noise and
>much greater dynamic range are clear points in their favor. But I guess
>it's basically a matter of personal preference. (BTW, I listen primarily
>to classical music and jazz -- but there are listeners in those categories
>who swear by the superiority of vinyl.)
>
>Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org

I have a DVD-Audio player which sounds slightly better still than regular CD but selection is limited. Hopefully I bet on the right horse and SACD doesn't become the multi-channel winner. For music listening speakers are without a doubt the biggest part of the picture for most people. Really good speakers make even cassettes sound decent. I listen to pretty much anything and everything except contemporary pop or country and rap/hip-hop but 90% of what I own is on CD. Old recordings reissued on CD like Django Reinhardt's stuff sound much better digitized now than they ever did on vinyl.

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0504-4, 01/28/2005 Tested on: 1/30/2005 4:32:51 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com