[lbo-talk] Making money on eBay [was Re: housing bubble?]

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 08:16:51 PST 2005

>From: snit snat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com>
>
>...Sorry, this attitude that you are "making money" selling your stuff on
>eBay just amuses the hell out of me. Hello? You had to buy the stuff first
>and then you sell it for, usually, a lot less than you paid for it. If a
>business ran that way....

[eBay has loftier aims than mere commerce. In its TV advertising eBay infuses its cyber flea market with New Age spiritualism, offering customers a way to touch eternity by trading stuff. Ad Week included the following in its "Best Spots of November 2004" ranking:]

eBay "Toy Boat" Goodby, Silverstein & Partners/San Francisco A young boy's toy boat gets washed out to sea with the tide, only to be found years later, tangled in a fisherman's net. The now-grown boy finds his lost toy on eBay. "What if nothing was ever forgotten? What if nothing was ever lost?"

<http://www.adweek.com/aw/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000735500>

BTW, I bet that ad's been collecting dust on the shelves of Goodby, Silverstein & Partners since the tsunami.

Carl