[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Jan 31 08:36:40 PST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> If there are any savvy LOBsters who could tell my which tube amps to go
> for, write me offlist. I'd appreciate it.
>
> Joanna
> ---------
>
> The classics, Harman/Kardon, Kenwood, Pioneer, McIntosh, maybe Yamaha,
> mid-seventies to eighties maybe. These use transistors but the
> fidelity is better than tubes, unless you find a custom built tube amp from
> the late 60s.

Believe it or not, there is a thriving boutique market for tube-powered stereo equipment (Manley is one great company). Prices are quite high, though. There is a diy community too; tube circuits are simple and straightforward, and you can put together a tube line driver for a few hundred dollars that blows away anything you could buy at an electronics box store. (Tubes rule, dude!)

Miles