[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:52:47 PST 2005

Yes, recorded music is a veritable Swiss Army sword of multiple edges. In terms of positives, it's tremendous to have all the world's musical heritage available for instant electronic retrieval. And it's nifty to have great musical moments frozen in time -- to know that I'm hearing "Audrey" just the way the Dave Brubeck Quartet recorded it Oct. 12, 1954. OTOH, I think there's no question that the easy availability of recorded music discourages people from becoming amateur *and* professional musicians. That vast inventory of recordings weighs heavily on career opportunities for musicians today.

Carl