[lbo-talk] Re: The Harvey Milk School Has No Right to Exist.Discuss.

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:50:48 PST 2005

It's quite disgusting that a bunch of X-tian fascists who oppose public education in general are trying to do this. In a decent society, the schools would be awash in money, and nobody would bat an eye at this. I do think it's important for subordinated groups not to self-subordinate, but this looks more like a poverty program than a gay issue, despite the gay theme of the school. I would bet that the city's rich gay teens have little or nothing to do with this effort to keep from losing kids to the streets.

It will be a great day, of course, when there are "normal" Harvey Milk High Schools all over the place. He deserves the memory way more than virtually all U.S. presidents. Shit, I still remember being stunned, on my first trip to Virginia, that I was driving down the Robert E. Lee Highway! What a country...