[lbo-talk] definitive evidence on the housing bubble

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jan 31 17:06:46 PST 2005

> "If I had any equity left in my house, I probably would, too," said
> Shamia Lewis, 26, who works at Innovative Mortgage Solutions in
> Center City. She and her husband paid for their $8,686 Super Bowl
> package the old-fashioned way: by dipping into their bank account.

Stupid is as stupid does: if you have a home equity line of credit AND a savings account with a non-trivial amount of money it in, you're really an idiot. An HELC in some sense IS a 'savings account' and your cash earning you 1% in a bank could/should be 'earning' you whatever your interest rate is on the HELC. $10,000 at 4% means it's costing her $400/yr to "have a savings account" ... well, not anymore.

But: what do you expect from football fans?

More seriously, if they didn't have an HELC (or savings) they'd just pay for this with a credt card. Which is better? I'd argue that it's better to put a stupid purchase on an HELC than a credit card. If you're going to use credit, you might as well do it in a way that is cheaper.

/jordan