[lbo-talk] new book on managerial ideologies

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Jan 31 22:54:55 PST 2005

Could you answer me please, about whether or not you portray scientific management as a mere ideology? If so, your book is a waste of time. If, on the other hand, you have a serious materialist/realist analysis, I would possibly gobble it up and promote it.

P.S. The world remains dominated by democratic organizations - they're called "households." You would think an expert on your topic would start from that reality.

Please reply, if you'd like me to consider your book.

Thanks!

_____

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Ernesto Gantman Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 6:54 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] new book on managerial ideologies

Ernesto Gantman wrote:

> The book's compelling conclusion is that instead of a tendency towards
> increasing theoretical refinement, what is more evident is a trend towards
> fictionalization, which ends in the contemporary paradigm of flatter, more
> participative and democratic organizational forms.

Really? Boy I haven't seen this anywhere I've worked in the last twenty years...except for very, very small companies.

Joanna

I agree, Joanna. There are very, very few authentically democratic organizations. However, it seems that the pundits of management thought do not see it this way. The paragraph you quote from the publisher's description of my book refers precisely to the ideology of these management gurus. Ernesto