[lbo-talk] The Afghan War as a "Loss Leader"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 03:23:05 PDT 2005

--- John Lacny <jlacny at earthlink.net> wrote: Chris Doss:

> It's totally anecdotal, but all the Uzbeks I've
talked
> to about this in Moscow (where we have a sizeable
> Uzbek community) think that killing Talibs is an
> awesome idea in principle.

This is hardly surprising, since the Taliban are a heavily Pashtun group, and much of the conflict in Afghanistan after the Soviet withdrawal can be explained with reference to rival brands of ethnic clientelism.

---

That may be true in Afghanistan, but the people I am refering to are Russified, Sovietized Muslims from a former Soviet republic that was officially atheist. They wear miniskirts and drink vodka. They are concerned about a Talib-type takeover of their country. What they say is that criminals (murderers, serial rapists) flee Uzbekistan to Afghanistan to get away from the law and join the jihad, where there's money to be made. Apparently once you say you've "found God" the jihadis forgive your entire sinful past history.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

____________________________________________________ Yahoo! Sports Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com