[lbo-talk] Mailer bloviates

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 1 08:44:21 PDT 2005

Thomas Seay wrote:

>I wont comment on his alleged racist statement,
>because I dont know what the context was. His
>statements MAY have been racist, but I dont see where
>he is "bloviating". This statement is undoubtedly
>true:
>
><<I will remark
>> that political correctness is a toxic to American
>> freedom.
>
>PCness puts a straight-jacket on discussion.

Yeah, can be, but sometimes remarks really are racist - and I think this qualifies. Old blowhards like Mailer love to hide behind the PC critique so they can sound bold and against-the-grainish when they're really being pigs. I think Kakutani is pretty bad, but that's par for the course at the Times. She's a former editor at the Yale Daily News (class of '76, I think), and fits right in at the place in every way.

Here's the original, from Page Six earlier this week. I thought "Asiatic" was a mode of production, not an ethnic description!