[lbo-talk] BillG at Live8

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Jul 2 23:07:22 PDT 2005

Patrick Bond wrote:

> Police stop black bloc joining MPH march
>
> SH. Red Pepper warned you that Make Poverty History organisers wanted
> only white T-shirts on their march around Edinburgh's city centre and
> they were true to their word. Around 400 protesters, deliberately
> wearing black in opposition to the Make Poverty History whitewash on the
> G8's destructive global agenda, were prevented from joining the main
> 'welcome walk for the G8' by a huge battalion of police. The protesters
> were detained for around three hours and stopped and searched under
> Section 60. Several tried to break through police lines only to be
> beaten back. As protesters finally allowed those detained to disperse,
> they began following members of the Wombles.

Photos: http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/07/315632.html

On a related note, yesterday I got the scoop on the police details for last week's anarchist anti-war protest in Palo Alto, California. The protest--mostly organized by anarchists from Palo Alto--was met with 200 police bearing M-16 rifles, two tanks, and a variety of helicopters and other cop stuff.

Chuck