[lbo-talk] What do you guys think?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 13:49:53 PDT 2005

As people here may have gathered, I've been doing a lot of research on the post-Soviet Cossacks, especially the Don Cossacks (in Rostov-on-the-Don, 25% pf the population identifies as Cossack or descended from Cossacks -- that's 250,000 people! And then there's the 11 Cossack villages in the North Volga Coss ack District... (their website -- in Russian of course -- is here: http://vcn.vorstu.ac.ru/win/home/sdko/index.htm ). Anyway as far as I can tell on the net almost nohing as been done in English on these people, barring a few crap pieces that Pugliese will probably turn up using google, except for one anthropologist at Harvard who was kind enough to send me one of his papers. I am absolutely fascinated with these guys, and have decided to write some articles and maybe, in my dreams, a book on these people (I've already asked M. Pollack and Joanna about this offlist). Do you think this would be of interest to a Western reader? It's a really interesting sociological phenomenon in my opinion.

Thanks for feedback! I'm planning to go to the Don on my birthday vacation in a couple of weeks and check out the Cossack villages near Rostov.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!