[lbo-talk] Jesse Lemisch on The Gates

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:20:10 PDT 2005

Lemisch (with a feminist historian) wrote a great pamphlet, "On Active Service in War and Peace: Politics and Ideology in the American Historical Profession, " circa mid-70's, on orthodox Cold War (liberal, mostly) historians. And, "Radicals, Marxists and Gentlemen: A Memoir of Twenty Years Ago," Radical Historians Newsletter, November 1989.)(Wait, doesn't philionism say I can't be critical of 'em? Steve, WSJ on July 1st had a good long story on patriotism, observations of and by Ivy League class of 70's, radical anti-Vietnam War activism then by parents of kids in class of 2005, their kids mostly liberal or center-right. One Mom, very active against the Vietnam War, met her husband while he was ROTC before doing his time in 'Nam. Had rocks thrown at him back then on Penn campus while wearing his ROTC uniform. The husband, came back from 'Nam against that war and now is against this one. Another, who started at Princeton in '66 was threatened with paint splattering his ROTC uniform. In 2004 , as a Republican staffer at the RNC in NYC, was spat at by , ChuckO's type of anarchist, I'd imagine. )

Back to Lemisch, The Nation in the early 80's had a funny piece by him, mocking Old Left folk music and its fans, "I Dreamed I Saw MTV Last Night." Oh, how the letters to the editor howled afterwards.

Also of note in the latest issue of New Politics, Symposium on Iraq and the War. Staughton Lynd, etc. http://www.wpunj.edu/~newpol/default.htm Iraq Symposium with contributions from Anthony Arnove, Barry Finger, Wadood Hamad,Peter Hudis, Joanne Landy, Staughton Lynd, Glenn Perusek, & Stephen R. Shalom http://www.wpunj.edu/~newpol/issue39/iraq-symp39.htm We are pleased to publish the following exchange on the politics of the U.S. occupation, the Iraqi resistance, and the antiwar movement. The symposium builds on a trio of articles -- by Barry Finger, Wadood Hamad, and Glenn Perusek -- that appeared in New Politics 38 (Winter 2005). Further responses from our readers are welcome.

The Resistance and the Antiwar Movement Anthony Arnove

Iraq and the Third Camp Barry Finger

Struggling for Progress, in Iraq! Wadood Hamad

Iraq and the Idea of Freedom Peter Hudis

Letter Tom Unterrainer

Immediate U.S. Withdrawal and the Hope for Democracy in Iraq Joanne Landy

No Blank Checks Staughton Lynd

Empire and Resistance Glenn Perusek

The Antiwar Movement and Iraq Stephen R. Shalom (long version)