[lbo-talk] the insurgency as hate crime

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 12:30:27 PDT 2005

Like the bumber sticker says, what is their sand doing on top of our oil? Besides, our intentions are so good that our Amexican Express cards are supposed to be welcome anywhere.

Xenophobia, I like that. Once when I was in grad school in England I invited a girl, a fellow AMerican grad student, to a movie. It was French. "I don't like foreign films," she said. "Ahem," I said. "You know what I mean," she said. Anyway, it's the attitude. It did not create a foundation for a lasting relationship. She's a well-regarded disability rights lawyer now.

Saw The War of the Worlds last night. Mostly disppointing, Tom Cruise wandering around looking stunned, soom cool special effects, but a definite message about how how high-tech invaders will not triumph dewspite the ability to deploy overwhelming force. One character (granted he goes mad shortly thereafter), even says "Occupations always fail." This sort of thing probably has no practical political effect, even when less subtle (like Michael Moore), but it was vaguely heartening to see, especially when the rest of the flick was not what it should have been..