[lbo-talk] Re: Dropping the B from LGBT

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:46:28 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:59 AM [PDT], BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> Okay folks, the new report on bisexuality: is it good
> science and research or not? I always check here first
> before passing this stuff on.
>
> Thanks for your help as always.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/health/05sex.html?
>
> Brian Dauth
> Queer Buddhist Resister

I'd be wary of any study that used erotic movies to discern data regarding attraction to one sex or another for exactly this reason:

But other researchers - and some self-identified bisexuals - say that the technique used in the study to measure genital arousal is too crude to capture the richness - erotic sensations, affection, admiration - that constitutes sexual attraction.

Social and emotional attraction are very important elements in bisexual attraction, said Dr. Fritz Klein, a sex researcher and the author of "The Bisexual Option."

I'd extend that... it's too crude to accurately measure anyones attraction to anyone.

I kind of drifted off about here: In the experiment, psychologists at Northwestern University and the Center for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto used advertisements in gay and alternative newspapers to recruit 101 young adult men. Thirty-three of the men identified themselves as bisexual, 30 as straight and 38 as homosexual.

That sample group is probably not representative of the general population of humans.

Leigh http://www.leighm.net