[lbo-talk] RE: obesity lbo-talk Digest, Vol 19, Issue 30

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 13:47:59 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:20 PM [PDT], joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Celi Ben wrote:
>
>> But it still seems like adding extra energy costs has to come out of
>> some other category of budget. Maybe the grocery price setters could
>> all collaborate to start raising the price of meat and fruit and make
>> a profit in the same fashion.
>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/05/BUGP2DI2961.DTL
>

> Actually, non-organic produce is grown with the aid of petroleum-based
> pesticides, so as the cost of pesticides goes up....
>
> Joanna

What I want to know: What happened to the "economy of scale"? (This also prominently figures into the organic vs non-organic cost of food)

I went into a Safeway Supermarket to buy some 1/2 & 1/2 for my coffee the other day and it was $2.29(Safeway brand)... The local 7-11 gets $2.39(Borden) and the local "health food" store(quotes intentional), a 3 store chain, gets $1.85 for a non-organic bay area product(Clover-Stornetta).

It doesn't make sense, unless the large supermarket chains need to distribute some higher costs that aren't apparent to the consumer.

Leigh http://www.leighm.net