[lbo-talk] Re: Dropping the B from LGBT

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 18:44:37 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:22 PM [PDT], Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> I know it's almost trivially true, but if a group of
> people socially identify themselves as members of
> group X, and they are treated by others as members of
> that distinct group, the group for all practical,
> social purposes is "real". Thus it doesn't really
> matter how bisexuals respond to visual stimuli; what
> matters is whether or not others accept their
> self-identification as bisexual (is it a legitimate
> category you can use to describe yourself?).
>
> --The question of whether or not some people are
> "really" bisexual is sociopolitical through and
> through (as is the existence of sexual categories
> altogether!).
>
> Miles

IMHO, acquiring the subjects the way they claim, alternative papers and gay mags, taints the results... and the "self-identifying" part seems... ... unclean... for some reason that I can't quite place. =8'>

But perhaps more urgently... which movies? Who's analyzed the erotic content to decide what's stimulating... and for whom? Some guys get worked up for girl/girl action, and perhaps visa vers or... Gasp! The possibilities *are* endless

It just all just seems sooo... sordid, and unscientific.

[value/opinion = $0.02]

Leigh http://www.leighm.net