[lbo-talk] Army Times on Iraq

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 23:05:53 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> July 4, 2005 Army Times
>
> Stop-Loss Forcing Thousands to Stay in Army
>
> Personnel records indicate nearly 22,000 active-component enlisted
> soldiers and officers who are in stop-loss status are beyond their
> scheduled separation or retirement-eligibility dates.
>
> Under the active-component unit stop-loss program, soldiers generally
> are barred from voluntarily separating or retiring 90 days before and
> after a deployment, and during the deployment.
>
> As of mid-June, the personnel files of 21,179 soldiers carry a
> tracking code of "S," which means their separation dates have been
> delayed because of stop-loss. The "S" numbers fluctuate but generally
> are in the 20,000 range, the Human Resources Command said.

This reminds me of the way in which the Russian revolution was immensly

helped by the fact that Russian soldiers fighting WWI had trouble getting boots. Many subsequently fought on the side of the revolutionaries during the revolution and during the civil war. "Bread! Land! Peace" ...those were the revolutionary slogans.

All those men being coerced to stay in the Iraqi hellhole will not be happy with the govt when they return.

Hint to the left: bad idea to villify these men.

Joanna