[lbo-talk] Spirituality Up, Religion Down in America

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jul 6 07:45:59 PDT 2005

These survey results are simply nonsense. The terminology is misleading. Between 35% and 45% of Americans identify as Christian evangelicals or "born again," with multiple surveys falling onto that range, and most showing an small but significant increase over the past 20 years. Chip Berlet

The arguments that the religious right are some kind of growing movement are nonsense... Chuck0

Well, that's just great. So which is it?

I am afraid I tend toward believing that they are a significant minority something in the 20-30% range and not an insignificant miniority in the 7-10% range.

The cover that they are over represented in the press is one thing, but it doesn't really explain the votes or the constant political pressure to the right. On just about every issue there are enough of them to swing the political spectrum.

CG