[lbo-talk] Japanese firms face China risks

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jul 6 08:12:38 PDT 2005

Business Standard

Monday, July 4, 2005

Japanese firms face China risks

Mariko Sanchanta / Tokyo July 04, 2005

Companies warned of China's underdeveloped legal system, power outages and shortage of staff.

Japanese companies should rely less on China, because of its political and microeconomic risks, and increase production in countries of the Association of South East Asian Nations, the trade ministry said in its annual white paper yesterday.

“We believe there are many risks that may prevent foreign and Japanese firms from keeping their operations (in China). We want to be whistle-blowers about these risks,” said Susumu Okamoto, a deputy director in the trade policy bureau at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

Last year China surpassed the US to become Japan’s biggest trading partner for the first time since records began.

Some Japanese government officials have emphasised the importance of building ties with Asian neighbours as a bulwark against China’s growing influence.

The Meti report also comes amid heightened political tensions between the two countries following April’s demonstrations in China when Japanese commercial and diplomatic interests were attacked.

The white paper warned of China’s “underdeveloped, opaque legal system”, the poor enforcement of intellectual property rights, shortage of qualified local managerial staff and power outages.

It said there is no big difference between China and Asean countries with regard to production costs, and pointed out labour costs in hiring Chinese middle management are relatively high due to their scarcity.

The trade ministry highlighted India as a country with a promising investment climate. It said India had “the possibility of becoming an enormous growing market for export”.

Although Japan’s foreign direct investment in India peaked in about 1997, the report showed 91 per cent of surveyed Japanese manufacturers plan to expand the scale of their operations in India in the near term.

The report also pointed to the rapidly growing rift between the richest and poorest people in China.

>From 1994-97, there was just a 3 per cent gap between the top 10 and bottom 10 per cent income bracket; by 2000-03, this gap had widened to 16 per cent.

Okamoto said the report was “a tool with which to understand the reality of the Chinese economy, from an objective perspective”. Some Japanese companies were in danger of having a myopic view of China, he said.

“Some companies only understand [China] from where their local units are based, and cannot fully understand the macro situation,” said Okamoto.

“It is useful to let other firms know what the risks are in the Chinese market, so they can use them to create strategic plans for future Chinese operations.”

The paper advocates that Japanese companies should build “an optimal network in east Asia” and develop strategies “for mitigating the over-concentration of risk, with an eye to the possibility of a network with Asean”.

Japan has been in preliminary talks with the 10-member Asean since April in efforts to forge a trade agreement.

“We don’t want to see Chinese growth as a threat, we want to create win-win relations with China,” said Okamoto.