[lbo-talk] Spirituality Up, Religion Down in America

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:41:16 PDT 2005

> Well, that's just great. So which is it?

Actually, I think these seemingly contradictory data might be telling the same story.

My impression is the that growth of evangelicals less about any net increase of religious Christians but more about the decline of traditional Christian denominations. When members switches churches to an evangelical one, they call themselves "born again". I think this is a global trend -- at least the same thing is happening in Latin America with Catholics.

This decline also leads to result reported in the survey where more people say they are not associated with any church or that they are "spiritual but not religious".

The reason the evangelical movement has become so powerful is not so much because they have grown but because they have become so politicized -- that is a new phenomenon of the last 30 years or so.

-- adam