[lbo-talk] Spirituality Up, Religion Down in America

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jul 7 07:02:36 PDT 2005

Chip's stats underscore my point. Just because somebody belong to a religion or professes that they are "born again" in a poll, doesn't mean that they are part of the hardcore religious right. Somebody can be a Southern Baptist (15 million of them, 5% of the U.S. population) and not take an interest in politics.

I wish I could cite an article I read around two years ago that talked about how many members of churches associated with the religious right were expressing a desire to separate their religion from politics.

Of course, the conservatives can mobilize *all* evengelicals with squishy issues like gay marriage. That issue appeals to the discomfort many conservative religious people have with queer rights. On the other hand, let's be clear that less of these people are down with the overall political agenda of the religious right.

In other words, the wrong response to them is to make the mistake the Democrats are making now with their new focus on "values."

Chuck