[lbo-talk] Ted K writes...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 7 10:26:39 PDT 2005

<http://www.gawker.com/news/media/commentary/index.php#you-take-subscribers-where-you-can-get-em-111544>

You Take Subscribers Where You Can Get 'Em Filed under Media : Commentary

At first we thought this was our favorite thing in the current New York Review of Books:

To the Editors:

In "Survival of the Smallest" [NYR, March 10], István Deák writes on page 22: "In anciect Egypt, dwarves were often venerated like gods." Deák here is discussing pathological dwarves. However, Paul Schebesta, Die Bambuti-Pygmäen vom Ituri (Brussels: Institut Royal Colonial Belge, 1938, Vol. 1, pp. 5-11), argues persuasively that the "god-dancers" venerated by the ancient Egyptians were not pathological dwarves at all, but pygmies from the African rain forest. Schebesta cites, inter alia, a letter of the pharaoh Pepi II or Phiops II (Sixth Dynasty) which seems clearly to support this view.

Theodore John Kaczynski Florence, Colorado

On further reflection, however, we realized the letter is actually only our second-favorite thing in the issue.

Our favorite thing is that István Deák then spent nearly 200 words rebuffing the Unabomber's claims. About pygmies.