[lbo-talk] nuts watching nuts (It's the actuaries... Really!)

Victor victor at kfar-hanassi.org.il
Sun Jul 10 22:06:55 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 6:24 Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] nuts watching nuts (It's the actuaries... Really!)

> B. wrote:
>
>> Having said that, one really does have to wonder what
>> burning US flags and breaking windows in S.F. is
>> really going to accomplish for anybody. I don't think
>> it does a darned thing productive.
>
> It does many productive things.
>
> I'll leave you some time to figure them out. It has something to do with
> the fact that the anarchist movement is growing in this country while the
> Old Left hawks boring newspapers.
>
> Chuck
> Infoshop.org

Sure it does.

Burning the American Flag* tells American working class people that you shit on whatever little pride they can derive from being Americans. This is particularly effective if you are a college student whose yearly tuition fees may well equal the yearly salary of many of the working class that you're trying to mobilize.

It's sure is fun though to run through town bashing up things and having set to's with the local porkies (and screwing up their enjoyment of long coffee breaks and all the other civil service perks that comes with working for government). Still, if you want to do this with impunity you should find some goal that will get you some resources from the establishment (usually covert of course) like strike-breaking and bashing immigrants. It goes well with black flags, black shirts, and dramatic cryptic symbols of skulls, ancient runics, and hand weapons.

Oh yeah, and I forgot, those boring newspapers. Real street fighters don't need to know nuthin, just fight. Great as long as it lasts.

*As organizer in political actions in the 1960's against the war in Vietnam and in actions here in Israel, there was never any question about what to do with the flag burners and street fighters. They were cut out of the demonstrations, taken under control, and sent home to mommy. Not only was their message counterproductive but they were saturated with agents provocatuers (from all sorts of govt. agencies) whose whole object was to turn disciplined demonstrations into free-for-alls and thereby justify harsh police action against the main body of people who had come to do more than get an adrenaline rush. Oudeyis